Carambola: A Star Among Fruits
The tropical fruit carambola s more popularly known as star fruit due to its shape and has a, sweet and sour taste, Besides the fruit’s other health benefits, It is known to combat diabetes by lowering blood sugar levels. It is even known to treat stomach ulcers, skin boils and coughs in chiIdren It ¡s rich in folic acid and also provides one with vitamin B9 that helps fight against heart attacks and stroke.
Carambola is one of the lowest calorie fruits as loo grams of it consists of only 31 kcals making it the best fruit option for those trying to lose weight. The same amount of carambola also has about 2.5 grams of fibre and 9.5 grams of carbohydrates. Though this fruit Is free from trans fats and saturated fats It contains a very minimal amount of fat.
Besides its many other benefits, carambola combats diabetes, treats stomach ulcers, skin boils and coughs in children. It is rich in folic acid and also provides one with vitamin B9 that helps fight against heart attacks and stroke
Some Healthy Fruit Facts
- Carambola is very low in calories.
- This fruit has a good amount of dietary fibre which helps prevent the absorption of dietary LDL in the gut and also helps the mucous membrane of the colon from getting exposed to toxic substances by binding cancer causing agents.
- Polyphenolic flavonoids are a type of phytonutrient present in star fruit which helps protect the body from the harmful effects of oxygen derived free radicals by warding them off.
- Carambola is also a rich source of vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant.
- It also provides 135lU of vitamin A which improves functioning of the eyes.
- Star fruit is packed with B complex vitamins like riboflavin, pyridoxine and folates which act as a cofactor for enzymes in the metabolism and various synthetic functions inside the body.
- Star fruit also has diuretic properties which aid in increasing urine output.
The fruit is also very helpful in suppressing cough.
- Carambola carries small amounts of minerals and electrolytes like zinc, iron, potassium and phosphorus.
- Potassium is an important component for the cells and body fluids and helps control heart rate and blood pressure.