CAT 2019: A national level management examination, is held by one of the Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) every year. With the announcement of the Common Admission Test (CAT) 2019 notification tentatively on July 29, 2019, the CAT 2019 Exam Date will also be notified. As per the last year’s pattern, it is assumed that this year in 2019 IIM Kozhikode is the CAT conducting body.
CAT is held yearly for admittance in the MBA/PGPM programs at the IIMs. A bachelor in any discipline from a recognized institute or the university can apply for CAT 2019. The exam will be taken in a computer-based test (CBT) form across the country. Here, know all about CAT 2019 like how to apply for the test, what are the eligibility criteria’s, how to prepare for the exam, syllabus covered, reference books, details of participating institutes, etc.
CAT Notification 2019
CAT 2019 is going to be held mostly in September month, as per previous years scenarios. It contains both MCQ and Non-MCQ types of questions. The time-span of the exam is 3 hours and has 3 sections Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension; Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning; and Quantitative Ability. Check below all the important dates(tentative) for CAT 2019:
|CAT 2019 Events||Dates|
|Release of notification||July 27, 2019|
|Start of registration||August 5, 2019|
|Last Date for Registration||3rd week of September 2019|
|Start Date For Correction of Application Form||September 27, 2019|
|End Date For Correction of Application Form||September 30, 2019|
|Admit Card Issue Date||October 24 – November 24, 2019|
|Exam Date/Test Date||November 24, 2019|
|Result date||January 7, 2020|
The duty of regulating institute, IIM, is only up till execution of exam and announcement of its result. In order to get MBA admission 2020-2021 through CAT 2019, the candidate must apply separately to the colleges, via the scorecard.
CAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates who are appearing for the CAT Notification 2019 exam have to fulfill the below-given eligibility norms:
- Age Limit: No age limit or no age bar
- Education Qualification: Candidate should have completed Graduation in any discipline from a recognized University or should possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India (including the Associate Membership Examination (AMICE) of the Institution of Civil Engineers (India) as an equivalent qualification.
- Qualifying Percentage: Candidate must have obtained at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of SC/ST/ PWD candidates) in degree examination.
CAT 2019 Application Procedure
The CAT 2019 Registration and filling of the application form have to be done online. More than 2 lakh candidates apply for CAT each year. The application and registration process of CAT-2019 is explained here in brief:
- Applicant firstly registers for the exam. At the time of registration, the applicant needs to choose 04 exam centers.
- Thereafter the candidates have to fill the online application form. Here they need to enter the following data:
- Personal Details
- Educational Qualification
- Contact Details
- Upload scanned image of the photograph, signature and category certificate (if applicable).
- After that, the candidates have to make the fee payment in online mode via Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking.
- After completion of the process, the candidates must take a print out of the application form for their reference.
CAT 2019 Application Fee
The applicants have to pay the following amount of the application fee
|SC, ST, PwD||Rs. 950|
|Other category candidates||Rs. 1900|
CAT-2019 Exam Pattern
Candidates who are appearing in CAT Notification 2019, it is important for them to know the exam pattern before they start doing the preparations for the same.
|Mode of the Test||Online Based|
|Questions Pattern||MCQ and TITA (type in the answer) type questions|
|Number of Sections||3|
|Name of the sections||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
Quantitative Ability (QA)
Every year there are some changes made in the exam as per the conducting body. The changes are made in the following areas:
- Number of Questions
- Difficulty Level
- Number of Non-MCQ Questions
- Addition of a few new types of questions
CAT Exam Pattern 2018
Check the format of CAT-2018 here, to understand the pattern;
|Section||Total Number of Questions||Marks|
|Quantitative Ability||MCQ – 34
TITA – 7
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||MCQ – 34
TITA – 10
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||MCQ – 32
TITA – 8
|Total||MCQ – 72
TITA – 28
CAT 2019 Marking Scheme
- No negative marking in the TITA questions
- In the MCQ type questions, negative marking is applicable. For each incorrect answer, 1 marks will be deducted.
- Each correct MCQ and TITA answer gains 3 marks.
CAT Notification 2019 Conducting Body
As we said already, every year, IIMs take their turns to conduct CAT. Therefore, if we follow the pattern for this year the CAT 2019 Conducting body could be IIM Kozhikode. Check the table below to know the pattern of rotation that IIMs follows:
|Year||Conducting IIM Body For CAT Exam|
- We can figure out that 6 IIMs take turns to conduct CAT. IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Lucknow,
- IIM Calcutta, IIM Kozhikode and IIM Indore got chances to conduct the exam in the first cycle until 2014.
- Since, 2015 the next cycle starts, and IIM Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Lucknow, and Calcutta have taken their turns.
- Now as per the pattern, IIM Kozhikode is expected to conduct CAT 2019.
CAT Syllabus 2019
The syllabus of CAT-2019, section wise is given in the table below. The candidates can check the syllabus and stick to these available topics to prepare for the exam.
|Subject||Sub – Topics|
|Verbal and Reading Comprehension||Verbal reasoning, antonyms and synonyms, analogies and reverse analogies, sentence correction, facts inference judgments, critical reasoning, fill in the blanks, syllogism, summary questions, passage-based questions|
|Data Interpretation||Area graph, Venn diagram, Line and Pie Charts, Column and Bar graphs, Caselets and Tables|
|Logical Reasoning||Number and letter series, Syllogism, Clocks, calendars and cubes, Directions, Blood relations, Binary Logic, Coding-decoding, Logical sequence, Matrix, and linear arrangement|
|Quantitative Ability||Number system, Geometry, Algebra, Permutation and Combination, Mixtures and Allegations, Ratio & Proportion, Logarithm, Time & Work, Functions, Trigonometry, Coordinate Geometry, and Mensuration|
CAT 2019 Preparation Tips
To prepare for CAT 2019, the candidates must know, the below given data first:
- Around 2 lakh candidates will be participating all over the country to get admission into 20 IIMs.
- On a scale of 10 points, the difficulty level of CAT exam is high around 7-8 points.
- The candidates who are participating for CAT-2019 must have a strong vocabulary.
Preparation Tips for Reading Comprehension and Verbal Ability
This section of CAT demands for good command over English language, from the candidates. Also, the candidates must know grammar very well. The candidates must give continuous efforts for this section during their course of preparation.
- Difficulty level will be Moderate
- Read newspapers, editorials, magazines, good novels etc. to make a strong vocabulary for yourself.
- Read daily newspapers and read it loud.
- Be accurate while reading.
- Start with easy topics from your area of interest; and then move forward for difficult passages like abstract, psychology etc.
- Take self-assessment to test your knowledge every day.
Preparation Tips for Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
The aspirants can check below some useful tips for this section below:
- Difficulty level – Difficult
- Start by understanding all your basics for each topic
- Give online mock tests.
- Try to maintain the accuracy of at least 90% while practicing
- Do self analysis of your preparation
Preparation Tips for Quantitative Ability
- Difficulty level – Moderate
- Solve at-least 50 questions from each topic.
- By-heart cubes, squares, cube roots, square roots up to first 20 numbers to do fast calculations.
- Make a list of formulas and memorize them.
- Try to solve the questions in your mind to not to loose much time in writing them.
Admission Procedure in IIMs
After the candidate has passed the CAT 2019 exam, note that each IIM has a separate process to intake admission. The selection process may include;
- Written Ability Test (WAT)
- Group Discussion (GD)
- Personal Interviews (PI)
However, it is necessary that the applicant should perform well in CAT-2019 examination. Some IIMs may additionally use other portions like the previous academic achievement of the candidates, related work experience and other similar inputs in short listing and ranking of candidates at multiple stages of the admission process.
CAT 2019 Cut Off Marks
The Cut off Marks for all top 10 IIMs have been listed here for different categories. Check the below table;
|Top 10 IIMs||Category||VARC||DILR||QA||Total Overall Percentile Rank|
|IIM-Calcutta||General||≥ 80||≥ 80||≥ 80||≥ 90|
|NC-OBC-cum-transgender||≥ 75||≥ 75||≥ 75||≥ 85|
|SC||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 70|
|ST||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 70|
|PWD||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 70|
|IIM- Tiruchirapalli / IIM- Raipur||General||80||80||80||90|
|IIM- Udaipur / IIM- Rohtak||General||80||80||80||80|
CAT 2019 Reservations
IIM follows reservation policies while selecting the applicants for admission. The following number of seats will be reserved for applicants belonging to the separate division
CAT 2019 Seats Available
There are around 20 IIMs and over 100 B-Schools, where CAT score is accepted. Check out below the number of participating institutes;
|4||IIM, Bodh Gaya||60|
CAT 2019 Results
CAT 2019 Result will be announced online in the officail website. The candidates can check their CAT scorecard under their login credentials, they have received while doing the registration. Applicants can check details like their individual data marks in Section 1, Section 2 and Section 3, the total score and overall percentage. The result will be published in the form of the scorecard and is available for all the aspirants who have appeared for the CAT 2019 exam.
CAT 2019 Previous Year Statistics
Every year more than 2 lakh candidates registers for CAT exam. But, not all of them are able to clear the exam. CAT being such a qualified examination, requires skills and a lot of efforts to get pass.The below table shows the number statistics of CAT exams conducted in previous years:
|S.No.||Year||Registered candidates||Number of Appeared Candidates|