Common Bean With Extraordinary Qualities
As the name suggests, white beans are white in colour and quite small. Their size is usually anywhere from a quarter-inch to a half-inch (about 0.6 to 1.3 cm) long. They are mostly oval shaped and have a mild, slightly nutty flavour. A diet which includes white beans can aid ¡n weight loss, provide cancer fighting antioxidants and also improve complexion. White beans also add ample amount of fibre to the diet. They are low on the glycemic index and have even been known to produce chemicals within the body that fight the storage of fat.
30 Grams Cooked Navy Beans : Calories(kcals) 100, Carbohydrates (g) 17, Proteins(g) 7, Fats (g) 0.5, Fibre (g) 1.1, Calcium (mg) 23, Iron (mg) 2.5, Potassium (mg) 339, Folate (mcg) 39
Types Of White Beans
- Cannellini Beans
These are kidney shaped and large in size.
- Great Northern Beans
These have a slightly grainy texture with a dense nutty flavour.
- Navy Beans
These beans are small, oval and are also known as Boston beans, the white coco and pea beans.
Their delicious taste and health benefits have made these beans really popular and well known around the world. The simplicity of white beans makes them useful in all households and in most recipes. Thus, they have become one of the most stable and Indispensable food items. Out of the three types of white beans, the navy beans are consumed on a large scale in India.
Benefits Of White Beans
- White beans contain a plethora of health benefits ranging from body building to improving immunity at the cellular level.
- They are high in fibre and thus they are slowly digested and result in a feeling of satiety. This ¡s why they have a low glycemic load in our blood, when absorbed. They are also helpful in preventing high blood sugar and heart disease.
- White beans produce alpha-amylase inhibitors, which slow down the absorption of carbohydrates by preventing enzymes from turning simple starches in to sugars. This process discourages fat storage in the body.
- Rich in thiamine white beans participate in enzymatic reactions central to energy production and is also critical for brain cell/cognitive function.
- Rich in magnesium, white beans aid in healthy bones. Magnesium also supports the nervous system, muscles and affects mood. It can therefore also help fight depression and stress.
- White beans are a good source of protein and when combined with wholegrain, they provide protein comparable to meat or dairy foods.