Happiness & Health With Goji Berries
Goji berries also known as wolf berries belong to the nightshade family and mostly bright orange-red berries commonly grown in the north-central and western areas of China. Traditionally used as a therapeutic medicine in China, goji berries are packed with plenty of health benefits it helps lower blood pressure, lowers cholesterol, cleanse the blood and much more. Gobi berries are mildly tangy and slightly sweet and sour in taste
- Contains B -complex vitamins namely B 1, B 2 and B 6.
- Provides 18 amino acids which include eight essentiaI amino acids.
- Goji berries have 13 per cent more protein than whole wheat.
- It is rich in 21 trace minerals like selenium, calcium, germanium and phosphorus.
- It is packed with antioxidants and anti-aging properties.
- Rich in vitamin C which helps boost immunity levels.
- Meets 180 per cent of recommended dietary allowances of vitamin A and is also a rich sources of carotenoids.
- Rich in beta-sitosterol which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Contains a very high amount of iron.
- Has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Omega 6 fatty acids and linoleic acids are essential fatty acids that are present in goji berries which help in reducing body fat.
- Creates a sense of optimism – also named ‘happy berries.
Good For Vision
Goji berries are a rich source of zeaxanthin, an antioxidant that may protect the eyes from high-energy light waves such as the suns ultraviolet rays (along with the carotenoid lutein). Studies suggest that zeaxanthin and lutein in the eyes are associated with better vision and decreases the likelihood of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Slows Cancer Cells
Extracts of goji berry slows the growth of cancer cells. Cyperone, a type of sesquiterpene aids blood pressure levels and is helpful for the heart, eases menstrual discomfort, and is also used in the treatment of cervical cancer.
Improves Brain Functioning
Goji berries are high in essential fatty acids, the healthy omegas which are required for the body’s production of hormones and the smooth functioning of the brain and nervous system. In particular, the abundance of linoleic acid in goji berries improves the functioning of the brain.
Good For Skin
A powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compound, solavetivone present in goji berries makes it a healing fruit.
Improves Blood Count
Goji berries contain a high amount of iron content and therefore helps to cure anaemic conditions. Also, a natural compound called physalin is active against all major types of leukaemia. The iron content present in the berry obviously contributes to building red blood cells. And beta-sitosterol lowers cholesterol levels.
This fruit contains betaine, which is required by the liver to produce choline, a compound that enhances memory and calms nervousness. This berry fruit also helps to improve mood swings and creates an optimistic feeling in people who eat it.
Goji berries contain beta-sitosterol which lowers bad cholesterol in the body. Consumption of goji berries also decreases the risk of cardiac diseases.
The goji berry is known as the world’s most powerful anti-aging food. It is rated number one on the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity scale (ORAC) which measures antioxidant level in foods. Goji berries have LBP1, LBP2, LPB3 and LPB4, exclusive polysaccharides known as ‘master molecules,’ that work together to strengthen the immune system.
These are not found in any plant. Polysaccharides also fuel the pituitary gland in the brain to produce more master hormone, the human growth hormone, in our bodies. HGH is known to slow down and even reverse the effects of aging.
Goji berries are packed with health benefits and also help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Goji berries have herb-drug interactions and it anyone is taking warfarin (blood thinners) they should avoid these berries.
- People with acute pollen allergies should refrain from consuming this fruit. Reports state that goji berry consumption is linked with skin photosensitivity causing skin rash on exposure to sunlight.
- They are naturally rich in oxalate that may cause a health issue with people suffering from kidney problems.
Leave a Reply