IESO was first held in 2003 by a group of Korean Earth Scientists. The IESO is an annual competition for secondary school students not older than 18 years on 1st July of the year of the Olympiad. The theoretical examination includes problems which are supposed to measure the participant’s knowledge and understanding of Earth science areas.
International Earth Science Olympiad(IESO) 2019 | About, Application Procedure, Levels and Examination Pattern
The practical examination consists of tasks which are designed to assess participants’ abilities to carry out scientific investigations in earth science inquiries. Each delegation is composed of 4 students and 2 supervisors/Mentors. The latter must be specialists in Earth science and Earth science education and capable of serving as members of the International Jury. Read on to find more about IESO 2019
IESO 2019 Overview
|Name of the exam||International Earth Science Olympiad|
|Mode of application||Forms can be downloaded from the official website|
|Eligible students||All the students born after July 2000|
IESO 2019 Important Dates
|Exam date Level I||January 19, 2019|
|Training camp||May 2019|
IESO 2019 Application Process and Exam levels
- The application form for IESO 2019 can be found on the below.
- The form has to be filled and an application fee of Rs. 50/- is to be paid.
- The exam will be held on four levels.
- National Level Entrance Test
- Training Camp and the Indian National Earth Science Olympiad (INESO)
- Pre-Departure Training Camp
- International Earth Science Olympiad (IESO)
IESO Syllabus and Exam Pattern
The detailed syllabus can be found on the below PDF.
IESO Exam Pattern
The exam pattern will be as follows
- The candidates will sit for the National Level Entrance test first. The top 20 students will be chosen for the training camp.
- The Training camp will be held for 18 days. This camp will provide an opportunity to interact with some of the country’s best people actively involved in scientific endeavors and teaching. It will comprise of lectures, discussions, field work, visit a planetarium and telescope operation. The syllabus is the same as that for IESO. The Indian National Earth Science Olympiad, comprising of both written and practical tests, will be held at the end of the Camp. Each of the 20 students at the Training Camp will be awarded a participation certificate. The top four students selected to represent the country at the IESO shall each be awarded a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 5000/-.
- The candidates selected to represent the country in the IESO will undergo another round of training at the Geological Society of India, Bangalore or another designated place before their departure for IESO. The candidates are required to hold an Indian Passport and be medically fit to travel.
- The selected candidates will then take the International Earth Sciences Olympiad.
Free boarding, accommodation and traveling allowance as per norms will be provided to students selected for the Training Camp. No fee would be charged for subsequent stages. The expenditure including international travel of official Indian teams and related expenses like travel insurance and visa fee will be borne through budgetary provisions passed by the Earth Science Olympiad Cell. Local hospitality will be provided by the host country of the International Earth Science Olympiad. All financial assistance mentioned above is subject to the approval of budgetary provisions by the Government of India.
More details about IESO can be found on the official website http://www.geosocindia.org/
For any other query, Please feel free to post in the comments section below. We will get back to you.