International English Olympiad (IEO) – Important Dates, Eligibility, Admit Card
The International English Olympiad (IEO) is an English language and Grammar competition for students of class 1 to class 12. It is held every year by Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF) in combining with the British Council. The matter of the tests is structured to emphasize more on communication and use of English language, rather than mechanically learning and correct grammar only.
Contestants of IEO are ranked depending on the marks acquired in 1st Level. Post first level of the test, students can judge themselves academically at four different levels – within the school, at the city level, at the state level and above all at the International level. The examination has been established by a group of testing officials who constitute the All India English Language Testing Authority (AIELTA) at The English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU). Students from Class 1 and 2 are not required to appear for the 2nd level exam and are ranked based on their performance in the first level exam.
Candidates who belong to class 1st to 12th are qualified to appear for the IEO. On this page, you can find all the significant information and the latest updates about the IEO Results, Important Dates, Cut-off marks, and much more.
There will be a 2nd Level for International English Olympiad (IEO). Students who qualify for the 2nd level exam will be combined in
- Top 5% of students class wise, who are eligible for the 1st level exam,
- State wise top 25 rank holders class-wise, and
- Class toppers from each participating school where at least 25 students from a class appear in the exam & scores 50% qualifying marks.
International English Olympiad Important Dates
|Date of Exam (1st Level)||04, 11 and 23 Oct|
|Date of Exam (2nd Level)||09 Feb and 10 Feb|
International English Olympiad Registration
Students should be registered through schools only. The competition is open to the candidates of classes 1st to 12th and registrations are accepted from the schools in the specified pattern. Registration sheet for the school/students and the information booklet are posted to the schools all over India and abroad. Individual registration is not available. Foundation will register school and the students as per the SRF (School Registration Form), SRS (Student Registration Sheets) and the registration fees received and dispatch question papers and guidelines for arranging the examination. Minimum 10 students are required to be registered from each school for practicality reasons.
International English Olympiad Structure and Pattern of the Examination
IEO becomes the two-level exam from 2017-18. Candidates who have successfully qualified the level 1 exam will be eligible for the 2nd Level exam.
|Class||Topic/ Section||No. of Questions||Marks per Questions||Total Marks|
|1st to 4th||Word and Structure Knowledge||30||1||30|
|Spoken and Written Expression|
|5th to 12th||Word and Structure Knowledge||45||1||45|
|Spoken and Written Expression|
The pattern of questions/Marking Scheme would be asunder
|Class||Topic/Section||No. of Questions||Marks per Question||Total Marks|
|3 & 4||Word and Structure Knowledge||30||1||30|
|5 to 12||Word and Structure Knowledge||45||1||45|
International English Olympiad Fees
A formal participation fee is charged for each student. Component of it is preserved by the school for its expenses as exam center. More information about the fee/mode of payment etc. are given in the School Registration Forms sent to schools. Students studying in classes 1st to 12th in schools linked to CBSE / ICSE / and State Boards can appear for the IEO test.
International English Olympiad Admit Card
Admit cards, in duplicate format, are available to students as under
- These admit cards are couriered to respective schools
- These are uploaded on official website sofworld.org by the 1st week of Feb’19 and
- These are e-mailed to specified schools and
- Students may also use the admit cards provided to them for 1st level exams.
- Students must collect their admit cards (in duplicate) stated in the above modes, paste their color passport size photographs on both copies together and get them attested (signed and stamped) by school authorities.
- The admit cards carry credentials of venue address and time of the exam. Both copies of admit cards must be carried to the test center, where one copy will be kept by the center. A discrete set of admit cards must be carried for each 2nd level Olympiad for which students have qualified the level 1.
- They may write to SOF at email@example.com Or firstname.lastname@example.org in February by 2019for the address of exam center for admit cards.
Class XI and XII students can go through the various publications like Chemistry Today, Biology Today, Mathematics Today and Physics For You and MTG books which consists of useful matter along with solved and model test papers of various National and International Olympiads.