Macadamia Nuts For Well – Being
Macadamia nuts are edible seeds commonly found in North Eastern Wales and Queensland and come from fruits of large evergreen trees native to Australia. Macadamia nuts are also known by other names such as bush nut, maroochi nut, bauple nut, Hawaii nut and Queensland nut. Compared to other nuts like almonds and cashew nuts, macadamia nuts are low in proteins and high in fat most of which is monounsaturated fat. These nuts have a buttery taste and light and crisp texture.
Nutritional Facts Of Macadamia Nuts
- Macadamia nuts are high in calories and therefore a good source of energy.
- They are sweet to taste.
- 100 grams of nuts provides about 718kcal which is the highest calorie value compared to other nuts.
- It Is packed with minerals, vitamins specially B complex and antioxidants.
- These nuts are rich in fibre and especially dietary fibre.
- Macadamia nuts have zero cholesterol.
- They are gluten free and hence can be used in formula preparations.
- The nuts are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Macadamia nuts are a good source of palmitoleic acid that improves metabolism.
- It helps increase insulin sensitivity and aids in weight loss.
- These nuts are an excellent source of important minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese.
- Raw macadamia nut pieces are perfect for baking, cooking, or as a topping for ice cream. These delicious, crunchy nuts are packed with healthy fats and protein.
Health Benefits Of Macadamia Nuts
- Heart Health – Consumption of macadamia nuts helps reduce cholesterol. Since they are rich in MUFA, consuming these nuts helps maintaining heart health and reduces triglyceride levels. Macadamia nuts also contain flavonoids that act as antioxidants.
- Promotes Weight Loss – Macadamia nuts are rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. These help in burning fat and suppress the appetite, hence preventing one from overeating. It also makes a person feel satiated.
- Proteins – Macadamias contain significant levels of protein which Is an essential component of our diets and forms muscles and connective tissues in our bodies. They also help maintain hair, nail and skin health.
- Dietary Fibre – These nuts contain dietary libre that helps prevent constipation, aids digestion and provides satiety.
- Bone Health – Omega 3 fatty acids present in macadamia nuts helps reduce inflammation and arthritis. Consuming it regularly helps maintain bone health and prevent osteoporosis.
- Promotes Brain Health – Macadamia nuts contain significant amounts of copper that help make neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are the chemicals required by the brain to send chemical signals. Thus consuming macadamia nuts help maintain nervous health.
- Rich In Antioxidants – Macadamia nuts are rich in antioxidants and vitamin E. Thus, they help protect against cancers, heart disease, stroke, age related diseases and also improve immunity.