Make Normal Blood Pressure Your Friend
Hypertension (high blood pressure) is very common in our society in both genders and all age groups. Since it is an ailment without any symptoms, it is often known as a silent killer.’ Unfortunately the incidence of hypertension is increasing in our country, not just in the urban but also in the rural areas. Hypertension has powerful risk factors like heart attacks, stroke, and loss of memory, heart failure and kidney failure.
Hypertension is five times more common than diabetes. So, it is rated as a top most risk factor for heart, brain and kidney ailments. Therefore, you must know your numbers. Blood pressure (BP) more than 140/90 is hypertension. BP levels with or without treatment must be less than 140/90 at all times.
BP should be checked and controlled 24 hours a day and not just once. This is the reason why 24 hour BP is measured in some patients using a totally painless method. Testing BP levels in the heart is more helpful. If your BP is more than 14090. you definitely are at risk of heart attack, heart failure, stroke paralysis and kidney failure. Fortunately, BP can be diagnosed and treated easily. And once BP comes back to normal, one can have freedom from chronic diseases.
Illustrative Real Life Cases
- Two years ago, a very famous film director was found to have high BP. I advised him to get it treated. He did not want to travel, so I made arrangements for him to see a doctor in the place he resides. But this film director never saw the doctor. I even asked his son to take his father to the doctors. But to no avail. Last September, the patient died suddenly from a massive stroke. The entire country mourned his death, which could have been avoided if he had visited the doctor.
Moral: Do not neglect high BP. It will kill you.
- Last year, the governor of a state was briefly admitted to a hospital in Andhra Pradesh with sudden symptoms for uncontrolled high BP. Although his BP was still high he left the hospital against medical advice to go back to his state. I am told that he has not followed through with his doctors. If this is the case, he is subjecting himself to a great risk of stroke, disability and death.
Moral: Neglecting high GP is bound to get you in to trouble.
- A few months ago, a senior officer from the government was admitted to hospital with severe hypertension, massive stroke, bleeding in the brain and coma. He was in the neurology ICU for two weeks. With continued medical and neuro-surgical treatment, his condition stabilized. However, when he was admitted, his BP was more than 220’ With good ICU care, the patient improved. After discharge, he obeyed his doctors’ advice loo per cent and was meticulous with medicines and diet. Slowly, he recovered and became normal. No evidence of stroke at all. His BP levels lately are around 130/80 at all times. He is back to work without any deficits.
Moral: High BP is dangerous. Following your doctor’s advice on achieving normal BP gives you a new life.
The actual cases above illustrate lite or death situations for patients with high blood pressure.
Vital Points To Remember
- High blood pressure can harm you.
- Normal blood pressure is your friend.
- High blood pressure is equivalent to cancer.
- It spreads all over with no mercy.
- Hypertension is thus equal to cancer.
- Hypertension requires early diagnosis, proper evaluation and meticulous management.
- Stay healthy and be positive.