National Science Olympiad (NSO) – Application Procedure, Exam Dates, Pattern, Syllabus, Admit Card
The national science Olympiad is conducted in every year for students of all class. This is conducted in order to motivate and enhance the understanding and skills of students in the field of science, logical reasoning, technology and analytical solving.
The Olympiad is open for students right from class 1 and for each class of students, the examination is conducted accordingly depending on their level of understanding and extent of the syllabus.
This is a unique contest which treats all students equally in terms of level wise syllabus and results as well. The exam is usually conducted in two sets in the year.
Interested students also find mock question papers and past year question papers to score the best in the upcoming exam.
NSO Application Procedure
The prospectus containing invitation and details about the exam is sent all the schools with SOF right from class 1 to class 12. Those schools which are not registered with SOF, shall make a call or e-mail and duly complete the registration process for further processing to get completed.
NSO Examination Fees
- The fees for National Science Olympiad is Rs. 125 inclusive of taxes like GST. Further, the school shall collect an additional fee of Rs. 25/- which is diverted towards teachers, guides and other miscellaneous expenses.
- This fee is charged from the students of India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal with an exception of those who are suffering from any sort of disability.
- The candidate can make the payment online through debit card or credit card which is clearly mentioned in the registration form of the examination.
For international schools following is the fee structure
- Level 1 examination- $9 per student
- Level 2 examination- $1 per student
NSO Important Dates for Examination
|1st level exam||November 2018|
|2nd level exam||February 2019|
For the 1st level,
- The eligibility is nothing related to the marks secured by students. It is open for all students from class 1 to 12.
- Thus, all students from class 1 to 12 are eligible to write the National Science Olympiad irrespective of any matter like marks secured or rank in school.
For the 2nd level
- Top 5% of students from each class who secured marks in the 1st level of examination
- Top 25 class rank holders state wise
- Class toppers participating and representing the school where at least 10 students must have score more than 50% qualifying marks
There is always chaos amongst students regarding appearing in different exams such as National Cyber Olympiad, National mathematics Olympiad, etc.
Although these exams are conducted by the same organization or institution, students can register for various and even all exams as they wish to.
National Science Olympiad Exam Pattern and Syllabus
- For Class 1 to 10
- Section 1: Logical Reasoning
- Section 2: Science
- Section 3: Achievers section
- For class 11 and 12
- Section 1: Physics/ Chemistry
- Section 2: Achievers section
- Section 3: Mathematics/ Biology
- The total number of questions and marks from each section depends upon the class to which a student belongs to. The exam is conducted during school hours only.
- The examination mode is only English for all class students.
- Each section has a different weightage and the top 25 rank holders will be selected based on an average weightage taken. The rank holders further will be chosen zone wise and class wise as well.
National Science Olympiad Admit Card
- The roll number for the examination to each student is generated as per the yearly guidelines issued by the respective authority.
- Once the roll number is issued, it is sent to the respective schools and the school thereafter shall forward those details regarding admit card to the applicants.
- Further, a school can also be registered as an exam center and no fee is required to become an exam center. However, a minimum of 0 students must be writing from the school the National Science Olympiad in order to be eligible to be registered as an exam center.
National Science Olympiad Mock Test and Sample papers
- The national science Olympiad which is conducted by the reputed Science Olympiad Foundation is also conducting free mock tests for every class student right from class 1 to class 12.
- Interested students can appear and practice by solving the mock question papers in order to prepare effectively.
- Further, SOF also releases sample papers for students to access and solve them in order to get a thorough idea about the exam pattern and idea to attempt it as efficiently as possible.
National Science Olympia Results
- The results of 21st National Science Olympiad 2018-19 have successfully already been declared.
Those students who have appeared can check their results by going to the official website and entering their roll number and other details like school code, class number etc.