NIOS Admission, Application Form, Online Programmes, Courses Available
NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) is “Open School” to cater to the needs of a heterogeneous group of learners up to pre-degree level. It was started as a project with in-built flexibilities by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in 1979.
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) provides the following Courses/Programmes of Study through open and distance learning (ODL) mode to interested learners
- Open Basic Education (OBE) Programme for 14+ years age group, adolescents and adults at A, B and C levels that are equivalent to classes III, V, and VIII of the formal school systems.
- Secondary Education Course
- Senior Secondary Education Course
- Vocational Education Courses/Programmes
- Life Enrichment Programmes
NIOS operates through a network of five Departments, Regional Centers and Accredited Institutions (Study Centers) in India and abroad. It has a current enrolment of about 2.71 million students at Secondary, Senior Secondary & Vocational levels which makes it the largest open schooling system in the world.
NIOS Admission Application in Online Programmes, Courses, Eligibility
- Academic Programmes
- Senior Secondary
- Vocational and Skill Development Programmes
- Certificate courses
- Diploma courses
- Stand-alone Certificate Courses
- Open Basic Programmes
- Level A (Class III)
- Level B (Class V)
- Level C (Class VIII)
- Teacher Education Programm
- D.El. Ed
- Early Childhood Care and Education
- Yoga Teacher’s Training
NIOS Virtual Open Schooling
NIOS launched the Virtual Open Schooling (VOS) during the year 2014-15 to serve learners through online courses for their education and skill development.
Currently, NIOS is offering two Vocational Education Courses under VOS
- Certificate in ICT Applications
- Diploma in Rural Technology
For more details, download the VOS Programme Guide from the link http://vos.nios.ac.in/niosvirtual/VOSProgrammeGuide.pdf
NIOS Admission Features and Flexibilities
- There is no upper age limit for admission.
- The minimum age for enrolment is 14 years for the Secondary course and 15 years for the Senior Secondary course
Choice in Medium of Instructions
- Hindi, English, Urdu, Marathi, Telugu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Tamil and Odia mediums at the Secondary stage.
- Hindi, English, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati and Odia mediums at the Senior Secondary stage.
NIOS Admission Procedure, Documents Required, Important Dates
NIOS has introduced 100% On-line admission through website www.nios.ac.in or Mobile App. (through NIOS web portal).
Under this scheme, the learner has four options:
- Can register On-line directly by following the procedure
- May visit nearest AI (Study Centre)/Facilitation Centre and take their help for Online registration. The list of Accreditation Institutions (AIs) is available in a separate booklet.
- May visit the concerned Regional Centre of NIOS and take its help for online registration.
- Can visit a Common Services Centre (CSC) of the Ministry of Information and Technology, Govt. of India.
NIOS Online Admission for all learners (Stream-1)
This stream for On-line Admission is open for all the learners as per the laid down eligibility criteria for the Secondary and the Senior Secondary courses.
The dates for Online Admission for stream-1 throughout the year (24×7) from the admission session 2018-19 and onwards are as follows
|Block for Online Application||Dates of online Admission Stream||Fee||Examination in which the students can appear the first time|
|Block 1||16th March – 31st July 2018
1st August – 15th August 2018
16th August – 31st August 2018
1st September – 15th September 2018
|without late fee
with late fee of Rs. 200/-
with late fee of Rs. 400/-
with late fee of Rs. 700/
|Block 2||16th September 2018 – 31st January 2019
1st February – 15th February 2019
16th February – 28th February 2019
1st March – 15th March 2019
Without late fee
with late fee of Rs. 200/-
with late fee of Rs. 400/-
with late fee of Rs. 700/-
NIOS Online Admissions for learners who want to appear in October-November, 2018 examinations (Stream-2)
This stream for On-line admission is open from 01.05.2018 to 30.06.2018
NIOS On-line Admission for learners who want to appear under the On-Demand Examination System (ODES) of NIOS for Secondary level (Stream-3 and 4)
This stream for On-line admission is open throughout the year for those learners who have already passed the Secondary Examination from the recognized Board/University and wish to take part admission in one subject or up to 4 subjects for updating their qualification.
NIOS Admission Online Fee Structure for Stream 1
|General Category||Exempted Category|
|Male||Female||SC/ST, Ex-Servicemen, PWD|
|Senior Secondary Course
1. for 5 Subjects
2. for each additional subject
NIOS Admission Fee Payment for On-line
The fees can be paid by three options
- The fee can be deposited On-line through Credit Card / Debit Card / Net Banking.
- Through Bank Draft of any nationalized bank only in favor of Secretary, NIOS payable at respective Regional Centers of NIOS.
- In case the admission is done through Common Services Centers, the fee could be paid via Electronic Wallet of CSCs.
NIOS Online Admission Procedure directly by learners
Procedure for Online Registration for Admission to Stream 1 Block 1 for the year 2018-19 (The First examination for these learners will be held in April/May 2019)
- How to Register for Admission
- Eligibility criteria
- Date of Examination
- Admission Fee details
- Documents required
The learner must have scanned copy/soft copy (jpg, jpeg files) of the below documents for the Admission to Secondary and Senior Secondary courses
- Recent Passport size color Photograph
- Signature (preferably in Black Ink)
- Valid identity proof (like Aadhaar Card or Passport or Ration card etc.)
- Valid proof of Date of Birth (like Aadhaar Card, Birth Certificate etc.)
- Valid proof of Residence (like Aadhaar Card, valid Passport/ Water Bill/Electricity Bill/Voter ID/Ration Card/Indian Passport/Statement of Operational Bank Account/Appointment Letter from the Employer on Printed Letter Head, if living in rented accommodation – copy of any proof of permanent address along with present Rented Agreement)
- Class 8th mark sheet or Self Certificate (in case of secondary course).
- Class 10th mark sheet (in case of senior secondary course)
- Social Category/Caste Certificate
- Ex-serviceman Certificate (in case he/she is an Ex-serviceman)
- Disability Certificate (in case he/she is having any kind of disability)
- Fail mark sheet of previous Board, failing which Transfer of Credit (ToC) marks will not be updated in NIOS result.
Please copy the given pdf link to get the detailed information about NIOS Admission like – how to apply, choice of subjects, Re-admission of Ex-NIOS Learners, Transfer of Credit (TOC), Dual Enrolment and Part Admission, steps to follow during filling of admission form etc.