Pine Nuts Perks
Pine nuts also known as chilgoza in India, are the edible seeds of pine trees. These pocket-size powerhouse seeds are loaded with energy, essential vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, making ‘it very helpful in maintaining a healthy mind and body.
We have always been told to limit the consumption of nuts because of their high fat content but eating these high fat nuts may not always ruin your diet. Here are some potential benefits of including pine nuts in your diet.
- Pine nuts are loaded with nutrients that helps to boost energy, including monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), protein and iron. They are also a good source of magnesium, low levels of which, can lead to fatigue and tiredness.
- Pine nuts are high in monounsaturated fatty acids which helps to reduce the LDL bad’ cholesterol levels and increase the HDL good’ cholesterol to prevent the arteries from damages and thus reduce the risk of heart diseases and support a healthy lipid profile.
- Furthermore, these nuts are also a good source of vitamin A, C and E which are potent antioxidants that helps to protect the body from free radical damage caused by pollution, stress, exercise etc. Free radicals not only accelerate the ageing process but can also increase the risk of serious health conditions.
- Pine nuts contain lutein, a carotenoid that helps to maintain healthy vision and which keeps away eye diseases.
- Pine nuts are rich in essential minerals like manganese and zinc. Manganese helps to maintain the body’s hormonal system and improves tissue strength, whereas zinc helps to build immune response.
- Fatty acids released from pine nuts lead to the release of cholecystokinin (CCK), an appetite suppressing hormone. CCK sends the signal to the brain of fullness which in turn suppresses the appetite. It also helps to slow down the stomach emptying which leads to a feeling of fullness for a longer time and thus it can help people who are trying to lose weight.